Sunday, May 08, 2005

An excerpt

I'm writing a Sci Fi story at the moment, it's set in a world where our sight is augmented by computers to such an extent that we lose track of what's real and what's computer graphics...

here's a very small excerpt for you to have a look at, feel free to comment. I may post a larger piece later.

--------------

Often, when I meet people for the first time, if they recognise my name and realise who I am, they ask me, in hushed tones, looking guilty, “What’s it like”.

I don’t mind the question; to be honest I enjoy the opportunity to shock, and to educate.

“At first it’s like being blind”

They pause, uncertain, waiting for more.

“Everything is bland, pale, no colours as such, and there are no numbers, not one” They usually recoil or gasp at that.

“And things get in the way, I can’t see past walls, or trees, or anything, even you… I can’t see anyone’s tags, I have no options, none, I have to talk to everyone, face to face” more horror on their faces, but I smile at them now

“But everything, absolutely everything I see is real… and I see it with my eyes, mine … no lies, no tricks, no blips or virg, no verts, heh, no spamverts… that alone makes it worthwhile”

My smile broadens.

“The sun is so bright it hurts my eyes… but it’s supposed to… I see the world as it is meant to be seen”

I can’t help but laugh

“And it’s a beautiful sight”

No comments: